Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fwd: [family] Updates

Ron got an e-mail from his cousin. He is in Australia and was in Sydney until Sunday. Ron does not know quite how to check all his e-mail and so he missed it.    Mike was leaving Sydney and traveling West and wanted to come and see us.   Ron e-mailed him back and gave him our phone number.  (when he found the e-mail)   Mike finally called and told where he was.   We will probably NOT get to see him.   But it was fun hearing from him.
I made our shopping list and we went shopping last Monday.

Here are some things I have found that are different
Rice Krispies
= Rice Bubbles or Rice Pops
Corn Syrup = Glucose Syrup    (I had to ask for this one)
Ground Hamburger = Minced Beef
Bisquick = Pastry Mix
Chocolate Chips = Chocolate Dips or Melts
Napkins = Serviettes
Bathroom = toilet
diapers = nappies
I could not find butterscotch or peanut butter chips at all, just chocolat and white.

A stalk of celery
was 21 inches long And of course everything is in g or kg. I am dying for a banana. There was a bad storm up North where they grow bananas and it destroyed the banana crop. Therefore bananas went up to $19 for a kg.(?) They are slowly going down in price. They are down to $8.   And to top it all off, they are only about 4 inches long. I wonder if they really do sell or if they rot in the stores.  I know I won't be paying that much for them.
Most things cost an awful lot here.
We finally found K-Mart and Coles and they are not to badly priced.   A few things like bananas yes.
Ron got a letter from the Mission President stating that we are visitors here in the country.  We have no proof of our residency to register our car.  So Ron took the letter over to the RTA and they were very obliging and our car is now registered.     Whoo Pee. Now we will probably get in a wreck or something.
We bought some lights for our porch lights that were burned out.   They were the normal energy saving screw-in light bulbs.  But, when we went to put them in they would not work. The fixtures have some other kind of clip-in light. Humm, what to do with these now.    J.......... says they are taking the screw in ones off the shelves and going to the clip-in.    I am not sure how we were able to find some. 
I wanted to make some of my usual peanut butter rice crispy treats.    I usually mix chocolate chips with butterscotch chips, but I could not find any to buy.     While I was heating the chips in the microwave, it burned in one spot.
I had popped some popcorn earlier and it burned in one spot.  I don't want to make that a habit so I'd better pay more attention.
Ron had invited the neighbors to dinner.   S....... W...., our next door neighbor on one side of us and  J........ K........, on the other side.  
It was interesting that I have been carrying around a little strip piece of paper in my journal for a book mark. Sometime in my past I was given it to read during a Sunday School class or some time.    I had kept it in my scriptures.   I have a lot of strips of paper in my scriptures and they were starting to fall out.    This one fell out and got saved to my journal.    I had not read it.   I just used it as a book mark.    I finally read it yesterday. It said:

Begin on the man who lives next door by inspiring confidence in him, by inspiring love in him for you because of your righteousness, and your missionary work has already begun. (CR October 1916, pp. 50-51) George Albert Smith.

How appropriate that statement was for me at this time.   Our missionary work has begun. 
So J......... and S....... came. We had a grand time.  It seems as if we have known them forever. Isn't it funny that way.   We ate dinner together and then played a game of Phase 10.   They had never heard of it before but they caught on quickly and seemed to enjoy it a lot.   They are both such very pleasant people.   S........ works for a mine.  J....... works for some health department.
We did not get all the way through the phases when S........ needed to go to get some assignments done.   But they stayed until at least 9 pm. 6-to 9 was good.   We are really going to like it here with such good neighbors.   They seem like good honest down to earth people.
 Wednesday we went driving to find some people.  Even though Ron is getting more confident on his driving he still makes some moves that makes me jump out of my skin.    I am still a nervous wreck when we go out.   I decided that I needed to stop all my sign language and screaming as Ron is driving or I will be the cause of our wrecks.    Maybe if I close my eyes it will not hurt so bad when we do wreck.  

No comments:

Post a Comment