Valerie sent me a birthday card that all my children signed. Can you believe it, one of those slimmy slippery slugs got up into our mail box and ate holes in the envelope. Besides being folded in half to get it into the mail box and rained upon, the card turn out pretty good after rescuing it from it's delapidated envelope. It was a beautiful card.
Wed Feb 29 we went to the Doyle's (in the rain) for our weekly Wednesday night dinner with them. After dinner Elder Tietjen surprised me with a chocolate cake straight from the bakery with a battery powered tea light candle on top. It actually looked pretty neat. He also gave me a beautiful birthday card and the movie "Cars 2". This was still at the Doyle's. We have really bonded with the Doyle's and I could not think of anyone that I would have wanted to be with more (here in Australia) than them. We then came home and watched the movie till midnight.
Thurs. Mar. 1 We are planning on presenting a fireside on the Family to 5 Branches. The one in Mudgee on Mar. 11. Elder Tietjen wanted to go to deliver some invitations to some inactives up in Mudgee.
We left our house in Orange at 10:00 am, still Mar 1, and drove towards Bathurst in solid rain.
We stopped a little while in Bathurst to talk to the missionary couple there and Elder Tonumaipe'a wanted Elder Tietjen to help him give someone in the hospital a blessing. So we went to the hospital and did that.
Then we drove up to Mudgee another 2 hrs north. Still rain pouring. The Doyle's have 2 inactive children living there that we wanted to give an invitation to. We never could catch them home. But I did capture this movie of a young kangaroo that got on the wrong side of the fence from 2 other kangaroos it was hopping with. It finally figured out how to come back around the fence.
We traveled up farther North to Gulgong (still pouring rain) (and I mean pouring buckets, cats & dogs or England downpour, whatever you want to call it, it was doing it.)
We finally found one person home. They lived way out on a dirt road way out in the bush. If I would call someone living in the bush, these people did. We were afraid to drive on the road for fear we would sink down into no where. We were already out in no where with the rain pouring, no phone signal and on a dirt road. Luckily we did not get stuck. We were not invited into this house and they said they were not interested.
As we left their house and traveled down the dirt road for a bit, we had to cross the railroad track. I told Elder Tietjen that I should take a picture down the track and then I could paint a kangaroo hopping across it. Right then a small black kangaroo hopped across the road in front of us. What a coincidence. And I did not have my camera ready.
It was now getting dusk and raining so hard you could hardly see the road. We decided that it was time to head home. Wipers going full speed we headed over to Wellington to come home down to Orange. We had to travel slow because of the rain.
We got home in Orange around 11 pm and it was still raining.
So I guess the Australian thing I did for my birthday was travel far into the bush, way downunder, on dirt muddy roads and pouring rain.
Just for an update: As of Sun Feb 26- Sun Mar 4, it has rained solid making a total of 8 days. There is much flooding going on. Don't worry, we are in a safe area.


No comments:
Post a Comment