Saturday, February 11, 2012

Miracles never cease

Remember me saying that our green car cracked a head.   Well, Elder Tietjen has been having some fun at playing mechanics.   He took the engine apart and "wha, la".


No cracked head. "Miracle".     It had just blown a head gasket.   I guess that is not so bad.    I mean, what do I know about mechanics after living 42 yrs with one.

Elder Tietjen went and ordered the part.    The next week he invited David Field over to help work on it.   David, a member of the Orange Branch, has stopped drinking and is now working at stopping smoking and coming back into the church.

Elder Tietjen finally got the head gasket on, got things back together enough to a point that he could start the engine and "wha la" again.   It runs.   He says it sounds like it is running on all 6.   You of course know what that means right?    Well, if you don’t, go ask a mechanic.

Well, he took it out for a test run and came back and said he got pulled over by a policeman.   I asked if he was speeding?    I mean how else can a mechanic take a car out for a test run?  Right?  (Oh, ye with litte faith)    No, of course he was not speeding, he got pulled over for not having his bonnet on. The police man told him to go home and get his bonnet on it.. You say "are you kidding?" Nope, they call the car’s hood, "the bonnet". The trunk is called "the boot"
So he came right home and got his bonnet on it.

We now have, as Elder Tietjen puts it, his and her cars.   "Her" car gets to stay in the garage until "his" wants to drive her’s because her still does not feel comfortable dring on the wrong side of the road.

I decided to give our cars names so I knew which car we were talking about.   Our first green car is named Greenie. Our second car which is a turquoise color is called Tory. Tory is getting favored because of her electric windows, windshield wiper relay works, she inherited the bull bars and the trunk (boot) hinge springy things that make the trunk lid stay up.   

I guess it is her that gets to go traveling while his stays in the garage. 
I think the shocks are not so stiff either.  It does not seem like we bounce so hard on these bumpy roads.
David enjoyed coming and helping Elder Tietjen work on the car. Also Bro Mills that is inactive loaned him some tools and helped with other things on the car.
So even cars can be a tool to do missionary work.

We have taken Greenie out for a long ride to make sure he is ok, and he is runing great.   But he still gets to stay in the garage most of the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment